Addressing Palm Oil-Driven Deforestation: A Way Forward for Financial Institutions
By financing companies operating in the palm oil sector, financial institutions play an important role in driving sustainable practices throughout the palm oil value chain.
Time & Location
01 Jun 2021, 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm SGT
About the Event
A four-part webinar series focusing on how palm oil buyers and financiers in Asia can contribute to a sustainable palm oil industry.
By financing companies operating in the palm oil sector, financial institutions play an important role in driving sustainable practices throughout the palm oil value chain. During this session, learn more about how banks and investors can:
- Identify and assess palm oil-related deforestation risks in their portfolios
- Manage deforestation-related risks by setting corporate expectations, developing sector policies, and enhancing corporate engagement
- Uncover sustainable financing opportunities.
This session includes a panel discussion where banks and investors will share insights on their own practices, identified challenges, and financing opportunities.
- Roger Charles, Executive Director, Environmental and Social Risk Management, Standard Chartered Plc.
- Sanjiv Louis, Investment Director SE Asia, Sail Ventures
- Peter van der Werf, Senior Engagement Specialist, Team Lead Engagement Director, Active Ownership, Robeco
- Datuk Hamzah Bachee, Deputy Group Chief Risk Officer, Maybank
- Marika Stocker, Senior Manager Sustainable Finance Solutions, Sustainalytics
Palm oil is the world’s most versatile vegetable oil – contributing to economic development in many regions, especially Southeast Asia. However, unsustainable production has led to widespread destruction of rainforests and biodiversity. Habitats of endangered species continue to be threatened, along with the rights of local communities and indigenous people.
This four-part webinar series by WWF will discuss palm oil demand and trade patterns in Asia – uncovering opportunities for stakeholders to take ambitious action for sustainability, effectively addressing social and environmental risks. Discussions with leading businesses and financial institutions in Asia will provide multiple perspectives on progressing sustainable palm oil in the region.
The following webinars will be held in Singapore time, or GMT+8.